During the 1600's French missionary and explorer, Father Jacques Marquette landed on a narrow strip of land dividing Pere Marquette lake from Lake Michigan. Father Marquette dies and was buried on this penninsula in 1675. This monument marks the site of his death. The 2.4 acre site is located on the south side of the channel between Pere Marquette Lake and lake Michigan. A boat launch facility is located on this site onto Pere Marquette Lake.